Wednesday, January 26, 2011

your thoughts so far? care to eLABorate?

we're almost finished our first month of this experiment, and i'd be interested in finding out what your reactions and responses are thus far, whether observer or participant. tell me your thoughts, and feel free to make suggestions as to what we might adjust. there are definitely pieces where the combination of text and image is more evocative, and sometimes the combination is more expected. luckily, we have a lot more time to explore these. you may have other questions or concerns, but here are some initial questions:


  • which combinations are more effective or resonant for you? why do you think that is?
  • which pieces don't work for you? why do you think that is?
  • i tried to post a piece every 2-4 days -- is that too frequent? 
  • should i continue to post them one at a time? two at a time? three at a time?


i've enjoyed the commentary so far, and hope you will continue to drop by and look, and discuss, and invite others to as well. i've already received a number of submissions for february, and am looking forward to how things shift and change (or not).

3 comments:

  1. Surprisingly, eLABorations #6 is my favorite, possibly because the frame fits so nicely around the subject of the photo and around the words. If in the future you continue to use that same frame, you will find us photographers adapting our work to the frame. We might even create our own frames. My least favorite? The only combination that didn't work for me was #13, because the photo is already beautiful. But even here, the words made me wonder who would see a virgin landscape as the beginning of something beautiful. A land developer! A pioneer! A homesteader 150 years ago!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So far, No. 12 is the one that stands out the most for me. The image and the text create a perfect juxtaposition that keeps drawing me back to it. I'm enjoying the diversity of photographs and the range of stories coming from them that the text seems to prompt, but overall, I'm finding that the strongest pairings come from the simplest images.

    The flow is much better now. Every two to four days works. It's drawing me back to see if there's a new one posted. One at a time works as well as it allows time to ponder and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really Wenda? Number nine too? That's cool.
    I like checking back to see the latest. The surprises are fun. (Even though we saw them in the beginning. I tried to forget.)
    At first I liked the simplest backgrounds but then I started to like ones with more in them. I wonder if the comments will get braver too as the project continues. Did my saying it turned out awful make people afraid to choose it as their least favourite? Are we afraid to hurt each others feelings? Most of us don't know each other but are all aware that you know us all, so it's not like commenting on a complete strangers work.
    I think I'll keep experimenting, and I hope people feel free enough comment whatever they think about it. I won't be offended guys!

    ReplyDelete